I’m not very good at being sick.
Somehow, in the last month, the Philosopher has given me not one but TWO infections. What’s gone wrong with my immune system in 2012? I used to be able to withstand all kinds of roommate illness. I’ve been making (and drinking) kefir for power probiotics. I’ve been working out. I’ve been taking Vitamin C + zinc. I’ve been abstaining from kissing sick people – pretty much.
I’ve been doing everything right.
And yet I find myself here again, wrapped in a blanket and avoiding bright lights.
Since I’ve been sick so infrequently in my adult life, I lack certain sick-skills. I forget to eat apples and head straight for the cinnamon rolls. I wear too many layers to bed shivering, and wake up fairly…damp. I am so surprised by feverishness (that crawling on the skin and peculiar sensation that there are little stick figures repeatedly punching you behind the eyes. Or is that just me?) that I moan “why is this happening!” And the Philosopher has to tell me yet again: “Darling, this is is what being sick is like. It’s a natural phenomenon experienced by everyone in the entire world”.
That shuts me up for about 20 minutes.
I think he hates me being sick as much as I do.
Nonetheless, we persevere in thankfulness! Happy for:
4. finally getting in to a showing of Skyfall after trying 3 times and failing! Not my favorite Bond, but a good film anyway. 007 has been remade into a Bourne since Craig joined the party. I don’t have any particular objection to that genre since I love action movies as much as the next guy, but Bond always had a lighter edge to him. I miss being able to say at the end of a Bond film, with affection: “that scoundrel!”.
5. Sun shining brightly through every window in the house.
6. Being on the right side of those windows as the cold wind whistles.
7. New teas.
8. New music: Freelance Whales. Weird name, nice jive.
9. Jerry Douglas on the dobro. Wow.