We are truly in Blues territory these days. It barely makes it to 60 degrees, dark all day, spitting with temperamental rain.
But, one keeps one’s chin as high as one can.
It’s really all we can do, given the circumstances.
So, keeping chin high for:
1) Fond memories of warmer climes and pizza in a dark alley in the North End of Boston with my folks.
2) A new favorite novel-of-the-month: Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. You should read it if you’re looking to get lost in something hilarious, thrilling and cathartic on a beach somewhere this summer. And the rest of you should read it even if you aren’t.
4) The Violinist’s and my triumphant win in Settler’s, after a three-week series of staggeringly poor defeats. Ah sweet victory. How lovely. And if you’re me, how short-lived.
6) My brother-in-law, One Classy Dude, declaring during an episode of the BBC historical miniseries, Cranford, “I LOVE this show!” and laughing with delight.
7) More memories of a new little friend I made on holiday who, in response to what I thought was a relatively straightforward question about what his favorite animals were, responded: “Snakes, lizards, cows, horses, turtles, fish, cats, dogs, dolphins, whales, llamas –” “But Eli, which one is your favorite of them all?” “Oh. Hmm. I guess maybe dogs, cats, lizards, bears, lions, giraffes, horses, cows…”
I would say more but my internet is refusing to upload photos. But instead of being crushed that you may never hear numbers 8,9 and 10 (which are NOT about being on vacation, promise) – why not leave me a comment with a number of your own?